Swami Sahjanand PG College, Ghazipur (UP), initially with its name as Swami Sahjanand Saraswati Vidyapeeth Degree College, Ghazipur was established in July, 1972. It was a group of some dedicated social activists driven by reformative zeal and fervor of the inspirational ideas of the great social reformer and political thinker and pioneer of the farmers movement in the country during the independence movement, Swami Sahjanand Saraswati (1889-1950) who joined together to establish a centre of higher education. The prime mover behind the visionary task was Pt. Keshava Pd Sharma (1920-1993 ) who felt immense and missionary influence in his conscience even since quite early in his life.
Located at the HQ of the historical city of Ghazipur in the eastern UP, the College is situated at the bank of the holy river, the Ganges. At a short distance of 2.5 kms from Ghazipur City Railway Station of NE Railways, the location of the College is also directly linked to NH 29, moving from Varanasi to Gorakhpur, with barely a short distance of around one km from the highway.
The campus of the College is spread over a magnificently rich background of nature—covering an area of 6.007 hectares. One may feel pristine glory and serenity, and soothing and refreshing glimpses of Nature here with great river flowing along and delivering divine music inspiring him to realize ``calm of mind, all passion spent``.
What started as a small institution in 1972 with the affiliation in seven subjects of Arts Faculty, and with seven teachers and a typical number of 101 students, it has now, in its 43rd year of establishment, has come to be grown into an illustrious centre of higher education in this eastern region of the state. With around 4000 students and 27 teachers, in its two distinguished streams at UG level---faculty of Arts and Commerce, and PG in four subjects--- Hindi, Political Science, Geography and Psychology.
With an aim to provide the best possible state-of-the-art facilities for teaching-learning process and liberal and enlightened pro-active environment for education, the College has a unique team of experienced and skilled faculty members. We have sufficiently rich structural infra-structure consisting of four blocks with 25 class-rooms, six lab-halls for practical subjects, one MP Hall and a meeting hall equipped with adequate electronic and audio-video devices, besides a specious play ground.
Many of our students have consistently performed with flying colours not only in university exams but also in their better and brighter parts of life.